Looking Good in the Kitchen- Part 1

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

DSC03036-1 

I have been wanting to make this since Christmas. My niece, Whitney’s daughter, was visiting and she had received a play doh set from Santa. It was a play doh food kit. On the box was a boy wearing a chef’s hat. She wanted the hat almost more than the play doh. It was cute. I figured I would make her one. Well here we are in March and I am just getting to it, but it’s alright because she loves presents no matter what time of year.

Do you want to make one too? Let me show you how.

Materials:

  • One piece 20 in x 20 in
  • One piece of 8 in x 24 in
  • One piece of 24 in x 8 in piece of fusible interfacing
  • Button

*Click on any picture to enlarge if needed.

DSC02930           DSC02935 DSC02936
Cut a 20 in by 20 in pieces of fabric. Then fold it in half. Fold it in half again.
DSC02937 DSC02938 DSC02943
Draw a curve from one edge to another. Cut along the line. Open to a full circle.
DSC02948 DSC02950 DSC02957
Cut an 8 in by 24 in piece of fabric and a piece of interfacing. Iron on the interfacing. Fold all the about 1/4 in. Then iron them down.
DSC02954 DSC02960 DSC02962
Then fold it in half and iron. Sew the edges shut, but leave 1/2 in open at the top. Next start pleating and pinning your circle of fabric in between the open edge. My pleats were about 1/2 in. Then sew along the edge.
DSC02985 DSC02983 DSC02976
Sew a fabric hook to the inside of the hat. Sew on a button. Now you have an easy way to put on the hat.
   

All that is left is to add a fun appliqué to the hat. You could add a cupcake or a tea cup. I went with a butterfly because I wanted a more 3 dimensional effect.     DSC02992DSC03041

Let’s hope my niece likes her new present.

DSC03036-1 

Go HERE to check out the matching Apron!

41D7BC788C40AFDD713E5833753FB8F5

7 comments:

  1. That is adorable! What a great present!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! I'll be making one of these soon! Thanks for sharing your great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an adorable hat and great tutorial! I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight at http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  4. have been wanting to make one of these for my nephews - thankyou will be trying my hand at it in the morning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! This looks awesome! I host a weekly blog hop -- It's a Keeper Thursdays. I'd love for you to stop by and link up!

    Thanks!
    Christina @ It's a Keeper
    http://www.everydaytastes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. The main functions of a kitchen are to store, prepare and cook food and to complete related tasks such as dishwashing.hampton bay ceiling fan remote t working

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog contents © better together 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.